Tools Of The Pet-Blogging Trade
Roughly 90% of the emails I receive ask the question, in some form or another, "What is a good looking dog like Eko doing hanging out with a guy like you?" The other 10% of emails ask me how it is I capture Eko's good looks on camera. While I can't speak for Eko to answer the first question, I'm always happy to share what I can about how I put this blog together. Whether you're a pet-blogger or you're just looking to snap some photos of your pet, here are some camera products that I think can help get you the exact shots you're looking for.
1. Canon S100
It's so easy to use, even Eko can do it!
As far as point-and-shoot cameras go, the S100 is about the best you can get. There are plenty of more powerful and more professional cameras, but when you're on the go and need a lightweight but trusty camera, the S100 can't be beat. It can easily be used one handed, so you won't even have to take your hand off the leash.
2. Joby Gorillapod
Although Eko is convinced it is a dog toy I won't give him, the Gorillapod works much better as a tripod
I have a full size tripod that I keep in my car, but most of the time I end up leaving it in my trunk. A large tripod takes time to set up and it's a pain to carry on any outdoor adventures. The Joby Gorillapod is a durable, flexible and trusty camera mount that's easy to carry. You can attach your camera, set the timer and take great photos of you and your pet in under a minute.
3. Xshot camera mount
The Xshot in action at Montrose Dog Beach
Getting the right angle for a shot of Eko or trying to get a close up while he's romping on the beach isn't always easy. The Xshot mount makes it simple to get the exact shot you want, when you want it. I especially like using the Xshot to get some unique angles while recording video.
4. HD Hero 2
The HD Hero 2 - better known to readers of this blog as the Eko Cam 5000
The Canon S100 is a stalwart and takes both great photos and great video, but if you're looking for something a bit more exciting, the GoPro Hero 2 is my camera of choice. The Hero 2 can take photos, but the real reason I love this camera is because it's compact and can attach to Eko via a chest strap (sold separately) to capture some amazing dog's-eye view footage. The Hero comes with a water proof, air tight case, so I can let Eko loose at the beach (or just about anywhere else) without worrying about damaging the camera. You can check out the camera in action here.
Our intrepid reporter, ready for action!
And of course, the most important tool to have handy is treats! Eko would have left me in the dust long ago if I didn't reward him for his efforts. If anyone has some other gear they like to use to get photos of their pets be sure to let me know.
You might also like
Blogger Code of Ethics
[VIDEO] Eko Full Throttle
Last summer Eko and I spent a glorious week visiting a friend on his farm in Montana. The weather was beautiful and there was not a neighbor in...
Eko's Winning Ways
The other day I was talking with a friend who asked, "With all of your travels, Eko must have won an award or something along the way." That got me...
The Many Faces Of Our Pets
As is the case with most pets, Eko's first language is not English. Body language is the lingua franca for our pets and so we all become experts in...
The following guidelines are a commitment to the readers of this blog. It's expected that readers and commenters will abide by the same rules as the blogger. Understand that the blogger reserves the right NOT to post any comments he/she considers unworthy of sharing.
- We will tell the truth. We will acknowledge and correct any mistakes promptly
- We will only post comments that are on topic, conversational, and serve to entertain or educate
- We will not post comments that are spam, off-topic, rude, or defamatory
- We will reply to comments when appropriate as promptly as possible
- We will link to online references and original source materials directly
- We will disagree with others' opinions respectfully and expect the same from you